Thursday, February 5, 2015

Imprints from Nature


Among some of my newest ideas are prints from nature. I am constantly inspired by my surroundings, living in the Pacific Northwest offers many beautiful ideas for me. I am lucky enough to have all the plants I use readily avaliable in my yard here in Seattle, WA. Currently I'm making molds from pine cones, pine needles, cedar, fern and lilac buds. I start by making molds from sections of these plants. Then after pressing fine silver into those molds I cut each shape out by hand depending on the shape I'm after at the moment.  After the piece has been heated to save the shape and print I patina them to give that antiqued look, afterwards polishing parts to give the piece some contrast. I love using nature in my work and it's great to find the inspiration right where I am!

  Come check them out at Pike Place Market in Seattle, WA daily! 

No comments:

Post a Comment